Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Practical linear and switch mode power supply design book

Status
Not open for further replies.

message4guru

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all!!!!

Hi am try to find methods to construct Laboratory power supply(0-30V @ 5 Amps). But the power that the series pass element has to bare is (30*5=150 Watts). So i started designing with bread board and Enjoyed the magic smoke all the time because of Series pass transistor and Some potentiometer(due to current control) went to breakbown..

So the finding out of this is
1) I have to build pre regulator with SMPS techniques.
2) want a technique to build current control Knob..

I will be thank full if you prescribe the textbook which describes the design technique rather than university Text.

Hi,

I don't have a textbook for you.
But every SMPS IC manufacturer will have application notes for free download.
And usually in datasheets they give example circuits.

Breadboard: Don't expect that you get (good) results by building an SMPS on a breadboard. A breadboard is not suitable to build switching power applications.

1) why pre regulator? This sounds like you want a linear post regulator.
2) almost any SMPS has a feedback pin. The SMPS control loop tries to regulate this signal to a dedicated voltage (given in the datasheet). If you build a circuit that feeds back output voltage (with variable gain) to this pin, then you get a (variable) output voltage regulation. This is ths standard application. But if you feed back output current (with variable gain) to this pin, then you get a (variable) output current regulation.

Klaus

This is an excellent book to learn about SMPS design.
https://www.amazon.com/Switching-Power-Supply-Design-Electronics/dp/0071482725

The reason I like it is because it does not employ higher mathematics to explain the concepts.
If you are proficient with Algebra, you will be able to design a SMPS with the equations provided.

The book also discusses extensively the pros and cons of different topologies and control methods.
Plenty of illustrations and actual waveforms.

Yes it is an expensive book. But this is a reference book that you'll use for many, many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.