Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to repair hot air gun plastic handle/metal interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimkess

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I got a new Quick 850 hot air reflow gun. after a while of use the inside inside of the plastic handle in touch with the metal gun has melted. So what i want to do is to put some heat insulator between the inside plastic and the metal gun. Would wood be good for this? does the wood get burn and perhaps go on fire when in touch with the hot gun?

any other suggestion how i can repair this.

hot.jpg

If it's hot enough to melt plastic, it's probably hot enough to make wood a terrible choice. But what kind of crappy product is this? If the tool melted itself I would contact the manufacturer and tell them to replace it.

They must not have looked at any of the reviews of the rubbish product, it shows up on the Indian Amazon site and it has an astounding 2.5 stars. with more 1 ratings than any other rating. Many of those ratings complain about melting handles. Just looking at the picture of the product on the site says "I'm completely junk, made in some 5th tier manufacturing facility with untrained staff, using stolen drawings (out of the dumpster) of a failed product by another company".

My advice throw that piece of instant landfill garbage (or recycle) out and buy something that works.

Based on the the info in this forum, they probably thought that a Quick 850 was the Hakko 850, definitely a fake design made to dupe people into thinking they are getting a favorably reviewed product. Like I said it's probably the old drawings from Hakko that had issues like melting plastic ;-)

yeah, completely agree. you can imagine what frustration it brings you when this happens when you buy, get excited to use it for the first time then you see that the plastic just melts like that.

i checked afterwards on the net and found some reviews on amazon and the buyers were totally angry with this product.

anyway, i put some aluminum foil and it is working i think. i didn't have much choice to buy one, one was very high priced and this one is lower cost one.

I have a Youyue 858D+ similar design but it has insulator between heater element and the metal tube. Here is pic.
If your wand overheats, maybe fan airflow problem or using very small nozzle but high heat. The firmware safety shut off at over 500C temperature.
The TRIAC maybe shorted if heat is stuck on.

Attachments

• IMG_20170421_095134_enh.jpg
    IMG_20170421_095134_enh.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 68

I have a Youyue 858D+ similar design but it has insulator between heater element and the metal tube. Here is pic.
If your wand overheats, maybe fan airflow problem or using very small nozzle but high heat. The firmware safety shut off at over 500C temperature.
The TRIAC maybe shorted if heat is stuck on.
nice, i was actually looking for insulator. what material is that? Also you have 3 wires connection. mine has only two. what is the purpose of the third wire? i have found a 3 wire hot gun only for replacement but the seller says it will not work with my 2 wire hot air gun. i don't see any problem in that but they say people tried to use and could not make it work with 2 wire system!?!

It is a high temp fabric mesh in a roll. eBay sells new 858 hot air wand for $12.
The extra two-wires lead to the air temperature sensor, J-type thermocouple. The wand has total 8-conductor cable: (2 heater, 2-thermocouple, 1 reed switch, 2 fan, 1-GND.)

Your unit just runs too hot, not really safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.