Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Peak voltage on switching NMOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanMco

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!

I am having some trouble with a charging/discharging capacitor circuit. Here I attach the basic circuit:

IMG1.png

The "control" signal is a square wave from a 555 timer with period T=10 ms and TH= 250 uS to set up the switching for the transistor. "Vin" is the charge voltage for the capacitor (2 V in this simulation) and R9 sets the RC constant.

I need to charge/discharge the 10nF capacitor to generate a pulse (the original circuit has another capacitor to do the discharge pulse). When simulating the circuit with commercial transistors (NMOS and BJT), I see some peaks on the voltage exactly on switching times (testing on TP).

IMG2.png

I need to reduce this peaks to ZERO or uV range. What kind of changes can I do on this circuit? I tried a lot of different transistors with low parasitic capacitances values but these peaks are always there. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

The effect is called charge injection and is normal behavior with any MOSFET switch. In the present circuit it's caused by Cgd.

Possible measures:
- use MOSFET with smaller area and respective lower capacitance
- use CMOS switch topology that achieves at least partial compensation of injected charges

Hello,

Yeah I understood the charge injection and I am already testing CMOS switch topology.

I have better results but still mV range peaks on the output. With Vin =2 V is a low one and can work but in the final circuit I will have also Vin=10mV.

I will try now to find a MOSFET with very low Cgd.

¿Do you have maybe another idea with BJT topology or some different circuits?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.