Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED through PID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

trazam1986

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good afternoon. I have a panel with a PID, Solid State relay, and a 240v heating element. My PID has control to reduce the output of the element by cycling it on and off quickly. I set the PID to 1% to represent the slowest on and off cycle. about 1 second. My goal was to add a 240v LED wired in parallel with the 240v element to illuminate when power was actually applied to the element, my expectation is that it would flutter, or blink as the power switches on and off - but it does not, it just stays lit. the SSR has a light that goes on an off as it is energized, so I know the power is being pulsed. I touched the LED to a 240V source and it seemed very quick to respond. any idea why my LED would not be responsive?

I have a Fluke87 that I use to test the output, but it does not seem to register quickly enough, I just ordered a cheap analog VOM meter that may help me better see what is going on.

Thanks, Jim

It seems you are using PWM for dimming the heating element.
If the element is on AC and you put an LED parallel with the Heating element, you must have to very careful. Because LED will glow fairly at 20mA with forward voltage of 1.28Volts (most LED), at 240V rms you will have to use 16936 Ohm resistance with power rating of 8Watts. Plus you must have an LED with minimum of 400Volts peak inverse voltage (for most led the peak reverse voltage is 5V).
The best way to do your task is use the LED before the relay where the voltages are fairly low.
If you want to add an LED at the heater element than you must follow the given circuit.

What ever you use to glow the LED if the LED is on even after the heater is off and LED is parallel with heater, there must be return phase problem with your power supply. Try connecting earth instead of neutral of AC line.

Status
Not open for further replies.