Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency folding due to aliasing in FFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

promach

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am having problem understanding why negative frequencies are showing up to the right of positive frequencies in discrete complex FFT.

I am not sure how to apply aliasing concept to explain such phenomenon even after reading about modulo-2pi angular frequency concept at https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-161-signal-processing-continuous-and-discrete-fall-2008/lecture-notes/lecture_10.pdf

Anyone ?

QfcWd.png

Simply consider that the spectrum of a time discrete signal is cyclic with n*fs.

FvM:

1) I understand the periodicity of 2pi which results in X[k+N] = X[k] , but how does the periodicity concept places negative frequencies to the right of negative frequencies ?

2) Besides, I do not get why is it that the Nyuist frequency component at X[N/2] separates the positive and negative frequencies.

X[k] = \[\sum_{n = 0}^\N-1\]x[n]\[{e }^{-j*2*pi*k*n/N }\], k=0 to N-1. From this definition, if you evaluate the exponential for n>N/2 the frequencies will come out to be positive. And vice-versa for n<N/2. The upper half of the unit circle is +ve freq. and the bottom half represents -ve freq.

@promach:

consider a sine/cosine signal that increments by -170 degrees per sample. Now consider a signal that increment by +190 degrees per sample. They are the same.

This leads to different ways to represent the signal. In one representation, the signal is limited to the 0 to 2*pi range. In this case, the negative frequencies are interpreted as frequencies above pi radians per sample.

Hi,

In the wikipedia article....with this text: "Two different sinusoids that fit the same set of samples".
Imagine:
* the red line as input signal
* the black dots as samples
--> then the blue line results as "alias" signal.

Klaus

Above seem to be the algorrithm programming , quite long coding writing .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back