Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do make a current adjust knob using LM723 for Linear Reg power supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

message4guru

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all!!!

Currently I am trying to construct Laboratory type Linear Power Supply with LM723 IC. How do make a current limiting knob using LM723IC and my Specification Were 0-30V DC and 0-5A Current ? I want my power supply to have current control knob so that i can limit by current and save my series pass element from over heating or I could test my load. This is my intention. Please Help me in this Regard by small small example to make current adjustment in Linear regulated Power supply..

Thank you all....

I too saw the versatility of the 723 IC, and I wanted to make a similar project. (Adjustable voltage, adjustable current.) However it is difficult to combine the two functions simultaneously. They tend to 'fight' each other.

It is simple to set output voltage by a potentiometer adjustment. As for setting current, the current sensing resistor needs an adequate power rating because it carries the same current as your load. A potentiometer is unsuitable because it burns when you dial it to a low resistance so it carries high current.

I looked around for a schematic to do this type of project. I did not find one. I saw schematics for adjustable voltage or current, but not both from the same 723. I could be wrong.

A full range adjustable current-limit will require some additional external circuitry.
Is that acceptable?

The trick might be using a negative rail? That allows output to zero volts. Like this Elektor PSU (schematic)

The generic chinese red 0-30V 0-2A (or maybe 3A) power supply kits about $6 on eBay, so I caved in and use one.
Instead of a LM723, they use three op-amps. I dislike the -ve rail circuit and they have a safety to prevent full output if the rail is late or not working.
Can be modded for more current, adding pass transistor. Schematic is here too:
https://www.qsl.net/z33t/dc_0-30v_0-3A_eng.html

Attachments

• LM723 adjustable-power-supply-30v.gif
    LM723 adjustable-power-supply-30v.gif
    78.6 KB · Views: 586
  • 30V PSU.JPG
    30V PSU.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 241

Yes sir, I ready to spent on auxiliary circuit. Awaiting for your schematic circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.