Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discrete Time Multiplication

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzafar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there,

Please refer to the image below.
Untitled.png

Thanks!

x[-2] -- this expression does not depend on "n".

Can you please elaborate a bit? here n = -2? What do you mean that it does NOT depend on n?

The expression "-2" does not include any variables.

x[-2] is independent of the value of n.

for example, if n = 10000, x[-2] = 1. (just guessing, there is no vertical scale). if n =-10000, x[-2] = 1. if n = 0, x[-2] = 1. if n = -2, x[-2] = 1.

Umm.. I think this is exactly where my confusion is.

Let me elaborate my question.

Q1: In the image below, we are multiplying the values in the green and the blue box, right?

Untitled.png

Q2: If so, then that means it is going to be "n by n" i.e.
(a) x[-2] times h[-2], which will be a non-negative value
(b) x[-2] times h[-1], is this correct?
(c) x[-2] times h[0], is this correct?

If, (a), (b) and (c) above are correct, then

Q3: What is the difference between the blue box and the yellow box? Just the magnitude at n = -2?

Thanks much :)

x[-2] evaluates to an value that is not dependent on n, or any other variables.

Specifically:
y_{-2}[-2] = x[-2] h[n+2] = x[-2] h[-2 + 2] = x[-2] h[0]
y_{-2}[-1] = x[-2] h[n+2] = x[-2] h[-1 + 2] = x[-2] h[1]
y_{-2}[0] = x[-2] h[n+2] = x[-2] h[0 + 2] = x[-2] h[2]

So for Q1, in the green and yellow this is a multiplication. the yellow box is described as above.
Q2: a,b,c: yes. They will also be non-zero.

Q3: There is no difference. There are probably more slides that provide more insight into convolution. y_{-2}[n] appears to be "the value of the output based only on an impulse at x[-2]".

For some reason people always give confusing example problems for convolution.

Specifically:
y_{-2}[-2] = x[-2] h[n+2] = x[-2] h[-2 + 2] = x[-2] h[0]
y_{-2}[-1] = x[-2] h[n+2] = x[-2] h[-1 + 2] = x[-2] h[1]
y_{-2}[0] = x[-2] h[n+2] = x[-2] h[0 + 2] = x[-2] h[2]

Why is it x[-2] h[0], x[-2] h[1] and x[-2] h[2]? Isn't h[n] shifted by 2 to the left giving us the signal in the blue box (in my previous comment)? So shouldn't it be
x[-2] h[-2]
x[-2] h[-1]
x[-2] h[0] instead?

Thanks

In the last picture, they are showing the convolution of h with a version of "x" that is not shown on other diagrams. This version has a value of x[-2] at n=0 and is 0 everywhere else.

It can be confusing if you think the inputs are shown on other charts. I'm assuming there is text that explains what the lower 2 charts represent. It isn't hard to explain convolution. These charts seem to try to simplify things in a way that only leads to more confusion.

I'm going to try to explain step by step.
According to post #1 in the first graph we have x(n) having the following values (roughly, because the y-axis has no units):

x(-2)=1
x(0) = 1.2
x(3) = -0.8
0 for all other "n".

We know that delta(k) is 1 is k=0, and 0 for all others value of k.

This means delta(n+2)=1 if and only if n=-2, then x(n)*delta(n+2)=x(-2)*delta(n+2)=1 if n=-2 and 0 for any other value of n. This is represented in the second graph. The dependency from "n" is given by the function delta(n+2), since x(-2)=1 and doesn't depend from n.

Let consider now h(n) as:

h(0) = 1
h(1) = 0.8
h(2) = 0.5

that is h(n+2) will be:

n=0 ==> h(2)=0.5
n=-1 ==> h(1)=0.8
n=-2 ==> h(0)=1

if we now multiply x(-2), that is 1, we obtain:

y-2(0)=1*0.5
y-2(-1)=1*0.8
y-2(-2)=1*1