Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to limit a voltage at 14.5V (20A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcelM0

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I have a regulator for my solar installation, but unfortunately it "overcharge" my batteries (it let the charge voltage up to 17V) It brings literally my batteries to bubble over.

So I constructed a "limiter" to work like a switch (v>14.5 stop the regulator, v<=12.2v restart it). It works but I would prefer an other solution.

I would like to limit the voltage at 14.5v - but the current can go up to 20Amps.

My first guess was to use a Zener diode to limit it, but I cannot get one of 20 Amps here in Mexico. :-/

I have some power transistors, can I use them somehow ?

Thank you very much for an answer.

Why not disconnect the charging source instead of shorting it?

The charging source is my solar panels output, I would like all the process to be fully automatic (ex. when I'm not at home...) and protect my batteries.

What you want is a DC-DC converter (probably buck/boost,
or boost capable in some other topology) capable of standing
off unloaded panel low temp max V, and producing a controlled
charging voltage. Like, say, a "solar panel charge controller".
eBay search turns up many (pedigree, is on you).

What you want is a DC-DC converter (probably buck/boost,
or boost capable in some other topology) capable of standing
off unloaded panel low temp max V, and producing a controlled
charging voltage. Like, say, a "solar panel charge controller".
eBay search turns up many (pedigree, is on you).

The above is good advice, use a purpose designed solar charge controller.

Different batteries will have a specific charge profile that will give the maximum battery life (discharge/charge cycles). You could use a solar charge controller with a generic charging profile or you can match batteries and charge controllers for maximum battery life.

Below is an example of a charge profile.

An advantage of a proper charge controller is that the solar panels can be supplying current. If you panels can deliver 200 watts and your load is only 150 watts then you batteries are not being discharged, this will add life to your batteries.

Even if you were drawing 300 watts, the panels would provide 200 watts and your batteries would only need to provide 100 watts, again a good thing.

Again search for solar charge controllers. There is a large amount of information on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.