Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I find the Altium footprint for a specific capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venn_ng

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am looking for a footprint that I can use on Altium for my PCB for a specific capacitor
**broken link removed**

Do you know where I can find it? Should I create the footprint myself?

It's a 0402 case, which is a standard footprint.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I could find 0402 footprint? I searched Altium website, but I couldn't find it.

We have our own institutional libraries; I don't know if Altium even gives you default libraries for standard components, although they do have a lot of manufacturers libraries here: https://designcontent.live.altium.com/

Also, there's this tool which might help create your own footprint:https://designcontent.live.altium.com/#PluginDetail/ComponentMaker_Capacitor

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere that 0402 is imperial while the equivalent metric number is 1005, which I could find on Altium libraries. Are those footprint the same thing?

Hi Barry,

I see that there several varieties within the same dimension of a capacitor like 1005L, 1005N, 1005M corresponding to high, medium and low density respectively. Do you know where to find this information on the datasheet generally?

For example, I am trying to find the density level on this datasheet

https://datasheets.avx.com/cx5r.pdf

I have never heard of 'density' as a parameter of a a capacitor.

This density refers not to a component itself, but to soldering. There is a standard named IPC-7351 (7351A, 7351B) "Generic Requirements for Surface Mount Design and Land Pattern Standard" that defines pads size for the same package. In short low density is the biggest pads size, medium density - medium pads size, high density - the lowest pads size. The type you need depends on your requirements, i.e. for hand soldering it's better to select low density. Although the copy is not free, you can google older versions (pure IPC-7351) and find general info about land patterns, producibility levels etc.

This density refers not to a component itself, but to soldering. There is a standard named IPC-7351 (7351A, 7351B) "Generic Requirements for Surface Mount Design and Land Pattern Standard" that defines pads size for the same package. In short low density is the biggest pads size, medium density - medium pads size, high density - the lowest pads size. The type you need depends on your requirements, i.e. for hand soldering it's better to select low density. Although the copy is not free, you can google older versions (pure IPC-7351) and find general info about land patterns, producibility levels etc.

Hi Altaero,

Thank you very much for the reply. So I don't have to worry about the density while designing the PCB board on Altium because they all have the same dimensions. It looks like the type of density is chosen based on the soldering requirements, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back