Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Technical ideas to address trespassing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm interested to see if anyone can offer up any technical ideas for addressing a trespassing issue.

I get frequent unwanted visitors to my property. I put up motion activated lights, dusk to dawn lights, security cameras, tree mounted cameras, etc, etc, etc. While the various things I've done have altered the behavior of the visitors, it has not captured absolute evidence of their presence.

So, I’m looking for other ideas that do not involve cameras of any sort, help from neighbors, police, security lights, or motion activated lights.

In general, my idea is something that I can do that might detect them, but not necessarily record their presence. If I had reasonable proof of their approaching my house from a certain area, then I could try other things.

I have a suspicion they are approaching my property around my garage. It may be that they are in the same location for up to 5 minutes. Can anyone suggest some sort of electronic device I could put inside my garage that could sense someone on the other side of the garage wall (wood and vinyl siding) ? Some type of heat sensor, ‘radar’ gadget, etc.

I **might** consider drilling through the garage wall so that the only barrier would be the vinyl siding.

Well to me your description seems scary but there are few very innovative ways to solve this issue were you can detect the intrusion in advance can classify it means if it is vehicle or person and then can activate your spying or protection setup automatically.
This can be done by using vibration sensors buried in ground fencing all the property or the areas of interest. Data from these vibration sensors is sent to processing units where it is classified bu comparing the vibration signature with the data base in this way system will know if intruder is a person or persons on foot or car or truck and that too before they actually reach to your property. Based on this it can trigger action like activating cams, sirens, lights depending on what you want.

I have a hunch it's important to find out whether the intruders are 12 inches high or 6 feet tall. Did you absolutely make sure they are not raccoons? An IR detector at waist height can tell raccoons from humans.

Also look for behavior which makes no sense. Raccoons turned out out to be our problem when I repeatedly discovered our outdoor timer control disassembled, the dial sitting in the grass. When it started I thought we must have a human neighbor who hated our outdoor lighting. Such behavior seemed to be an utterly ridiculous development. After three days I wanted to put up a security camera, etc. Then I saw muddy pawprints on a nearby screen door. Surprisingly, their little paws were strong enough to open up the timer and yank the dial off its mechanism. I could hardly believe it.

I have a hunch it's important to find out whether the intruders are 12 inches high or 6 feet tall. Did you absolutely make sure they are not raccoons? .
the best part with the proposed scheme to use vibration sensors is that each and every creature has a distinct vibration signature depending on their weight if machine then engine sound nature of tires so it is easy to place the intruders in categories like if it was crawling animal/animals or human/humans or light vehicle or heavy one. The best part is that you all the security sources like cams, lights, sirens are in off state unless triggered on.
This sort of concept can be used with FPGA processing if have to be used at some remote places even a controller can enable limited features communicated with antenna or with laptop if you can have wired setup. It is sort of totally flexible with a small skeleton consisting of vibration sensors rest is defined by user and the location of site.
It is not just a concept but we have assembled and tested such system called Intruder Detection System with battery life of more than three weeks transmitting through antennas able to resolve human animal and vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back