Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Re-purpose Ceiling Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

boboh

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to re-purpose a ceiling fan and would like to to run at high RPM's. It has a three way switch, and a capacitor to get it going. Will a ceiling fan run at high RPM's, or are they low RPM by design and no way to speed them up? Tried just hooking up the motor leads to power, but got nothing so I reconnected all of the original circuitry.

Ideal ceiling fan should be low RPM as goal is to have more air but less noise and there lies the compromise for RPM for any fan.
I am not sure about the exact way to speed up the fan as in the end it is the speed of motor which will control it but from my home experience I can say that you can improve the speed by increasing the capacitor value to some extent.

Ideal ceiling fan should be low RPM as goal is to have more air but less noise and there lies the compromise for RPM for any fan.
I am not sure about the exact way to speed up the fan as in the end it is the speed of motor which will control it but from my home experience I can say that you can improve the speed by increasing the capacitor value to some extent.

Thanks... I am going to use the motor only for another project so the "fan" will not be used. I do not have much of an electrical background so any help you could give is appreciated. I only need one speed for the motor (fast). I have attached a picture of the wiring. What size capacitor would I order and which would I replace from the picture? 20170518_095848.jpg

Ok if you want to speed up the things then one simple trick is to increase capacitance and to do so you need to connect capacitor in parallel then they will add up and capacitance will increase.
Try it may be you get what you want

...Tried just hooking up the motor leads to power, but got nothing so I reconnected all of the original circuitry.

Increasing the applied voltage will help but only to a small extent. You cannot safely run a motor at a much higher voltage without bothering about the heat dissipation.

A better way (and much better in many ways) is to increase the frequency of the applied source; adjust the series start capacitor accordingly. If you double the frequency, you can also increase the voltage accordingly.

Remember that the motor itself acts as the load and limits the highest speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back