Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency measurement of a high frequency oscillator made in FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdarvishi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
I am using Vivado 2016.1 targeting an Artix-7 FPGA. I have implemented a ring oscillator inside the FPGA that oscillates at almost high frequency of 500 MHz. Now, I would like to design a frequency meter and implement it in order to measure that frequency. I know the concepts of frequency measurement and I had a look on this course project:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...8995p1kHVpUDCdiBw&sig2=Pp9sE0CAT6kq2mU6yBe1Nw

The author used a hyprid technique in order to measure the frequency of a high frequency signal. In most parts of the PDF file, he mentioned about the .vhd code sources available in CD but I did not see anything related to them ! Does anyone by chance got the source files of this project or can anyone help me to quickly design and implement a frequency counter for my targhed design, please?
Kind replies and hints are in advance appreciated !
Regards,

First of all, if you are trying to accurately measure a 500MHz signal, you're going to need a clock with a frequency much higher than 500MHz. In the project you cite, they are using a 250MHz clock to measure a 10MHz signal. If you are looking to do a similar design, you'll nominally need a 12.5GHz clock. That's not going to happen in an FPGA. You might want to rethink this.

Hi,

I assume in post#1 there should be this link:

Klaus

First, this is a bad idea. You would need to have a specific reason to implement a ring oscillator in the FPGA.

The general way to do this would be to use something like a ring counter to create a divided clock signal. From there you can determine how often 16 clock cycles have occurred per second. Meeting timing might be difficult as you might get a clock rate above the FPGA max clock rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back