Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vacuum cleaner died, speed control board issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

soledad

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

my vacuum cleaner died. Motor is fine. But there are some issues with the speed control board.
It's a Miele S2511, and the board is EDL270.

One resistor burned out, and another component is busted as well, but I can't identify what it is. A diode ?
I did my best to draw the circuit from the pcb and I have a picture of the board.

Can anyone help me figure out what that component is ? thanks !

edl270.jpgEDL270_b_crop.jpg

I believe you are confusing MT2 with the gate.
The motor terminal cannot be connected to the gate

ah yes, I got that wrong ... should be connected like this
So do you know what the missing component could be ?

EDL270_crop.jpg

Hi,

Is there any possibility that the blown scarlet/red component is a fusible resistor? Is it impossible to see any stripes on the body due to it being a bit charred? It's a hassle, but taking a reasonable quality photo to upload to a big screen and making it monochrome, or inverting the colours, can sometimes help to see things colour hides, no guarantees though.

The schematic still doesn't look right but the second attempt is more realistic.

It appears to be a simple phase control circuit, much like the ones used in light dimmers. If you look up dimmer circuits it will give clues as to how it is probably wired.
The missing component will be a resistor to pre-set the motor speed limit. I would guess it's value would be around 4.7K.

Brian.

I compared some similar Miele boards online, mostly bad ebay pics, but I think it's just another simple resistor after all. They all seem to contain similar resistor values as on my board .. except on mine it's indeed the 4.7k that is missing ;)

I'll check out some of those circuits to understand them better and hope I can fix it.

thanks all for your help !

I notice a black hole and curled paint on the 27R resistor as well, it is damaged too.
I would test the TRIAC, it probably shorted and burned up the parts connected to its gate.
The other resistor did not burn up on its own accord.
I believe the trimpot is used to set minimum speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.