Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Minus sign for synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahmood.n

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It is stated in a book (VHDL for logic synthesis) that

Code:
5.6.3 Minus Sign
The minus sign is implemented as a 2’s-complement negation. 2’s-complement negation is performed by subtracting the input from zero.

How that is done?! The standard negation is to invert all bits and add 1 to that. Otherwise, doing (0 - 3) to achieve -3 means that the zero has to borrow a number from higher order digit and that is not possible. Isn't that?

Assume we want to calculate -3. That means
Code:
  ------

Another question.
In the patterson's book (computer architecture: hardware/software interface) and for dividing signed numbers, it is stated that

Code:
This anomalous behavior is avoided by following the rule that the dividend and 
remainder must have the same signs, no matter what the signs of the divisor and quotient. 
We calculate the other combinations by following the same rule:
+7 / –2: Quotient = –3, Remainder = +1

Now if you use google to calculate (-1) mod 4, you will get +3 that means (this link)
-1 = -1 * 4 + 3
which contradicts patterson's statement. I also see similar thing in the VHDL book (attachment)

Any idea?

Attachments

• mod.jpg
    mod.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

The bit width of the maximum negative number must be within a -2**N to -1 range, therefore -3 can only be represented in 3-bits not 2-bits, as two bits can only represent a -2.

OK i edited the post. However, that has no effect on the question.

Not sure if this will make complete sense...
Code:

bit-0:
0-1 borrow: 10-1 = 1
bit-1:
from bit-0 borrowed need to borrow again
borrow for bit-1 10-1 borrow for bit-0: 1-1 = 0
bit-2:
borrow for bit-2 10-0, borrow for bit-1: 1-0 = 1
from this point on all the results will be 1 (sign extending)

I think you have to borrow 2 instead of 10.
I also edited the post for another question.

It's in binary you can't borrow 2 you can borrow a 1, so that the bit you are subtracting from now represents 10.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
;-)

- - - Updated - - -

You should stop editing the question, it makes the thread confusing, even to me who has been answering it.

- - - Updated - - -

In the patterson's book (computer architecture: hardware/software interface) and for dividing signed numbers, it is stated that

Code:
This anomalous behavior is avoided by following the rule that the dividend and 
remainder must have the same signs, no matter what the signs of the divisor and quotient. 
We calculate the other combinations by following the same rule:
+7 / –2: Quotient = –3, Remainder = +1

Now if you use google to calculate (-1) mod 4, you will get +3 that means (this link)
-1 = -1 * 4 + 3
which contradicts patterson's statement. I also see similar thing in the VHDL book (attachment)
Mod is not the same as division

-1/4 = -025, i.e. the remainder is -1 (= -0.25 * 4)

mod works on a circle 0-1-2-3-0-1-2...
Code:
0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 0 - 1 - 2
            ^ modulo of -1
so if you keep plugging values into google you will see that -2 mod 4 = 2, -3 mod 4 = 1, and -4 mod 4 = 0

Status
Not open for further replies.