Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to prevent the ESD in cmos layouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eceraj10

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the methods using toavoid ESD in CMOS layouts?

anybody explain clearly?

Many, many, many publications on this if you cared to
investigate.

Simple advice - forget the voltage, think about the current
loops (there are 2*N*(N-1) permutations of these in pin-pin
ESD testing - polarity times entry times exit pin) and how
you will return the current to its source with as little loss
in the chip as possible.

Everything after that is details of art, implementation and
element ruggedness. Enjoy.

Well said, dick_freebird :)

Eceraj10 - I assume you meant "how to protect ICs against ESD events", not how to avoid ESD events - correct?

yes absolutly correct, timof:)

ya that is my correct intention of "how to protect ICs against ESD events"can anyone explain pls..

ya that is my correct intention of "how to protect ICs against ESD events"can anyone explain pls..

This is a very wide and deep area, ESD protection...

Very briefly - at the IC level, pins are protected by on-chip ESD elements (ESD diodes, clamps - MOSFETs, SCRs (thyristors), etc.).
Connections to these elements should be low-resistive and minimizing current density, for current levels of the order of 1.0 - 20.0 Amps.
On-chip ESD protection should protect the IC from various types of ESD stress conditions (different time-dependent waveforms) - HBM, CDM, MM, ...
Various standards describe how the stress conditions are applied to test the ESD protection.

One source of literature on ESD is IEEE Explore:

ieeexplore.ieee.org

Another is ESDA web site:

https://www.esda.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back