Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Snubber Calculation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okada

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am designing a Half Wave Controlled Rectifier and I am using a RL load. I have to design a RC snubber for the circuit. My AC input to SCR is 24V 50Hz. I am referring page no. 807 of Power Electronics book by Kanchandani.

It shows RC snubber calculation for AC circuits. Should I use the two equations given in that book ?

equations namely

R = 26 * sqrt(L/C)

C = C = (1/2L)((0.564 * Em)/(dv/dt))^2

My L value is 50mH in RL load.

So, can I use above equations to calculate C and R values for RC snubber ?

It mentions Em as peak line to line voltage. What value should I take for Em ? 24V ?

- - - Updated - - -

I am referring page nos. 807 to 811 of Kanchandani's book Power Electronics. The student has to submit the project in 2 days. Please mention if I have to use above equations for RC snubber calculation.

Your inductive load is likely to introduce power factor error. Therefore you may need to install a certain value of capacitor somewhere. The aim is to avoid pulling current through devices that are supposed to be shut off.

Does that mean I can use the equations mentioned in post 1 to design the RC snubber ? I will assume Cs to be 0.1uF and I will calculate Rs using

Rs = 26 * sqrt(L / C)

Rs = 26 * sqrt(50mH / 0.1uF)

Rs = 26 * 707.16

Rs = 18384.77

Rs = 18k

Can I use these values for the RC snubber ?

Rs = 18k
Cs = 0.1uF

?

Status
Not open for further replies.