Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DMM Voltage Measurement (Load Current)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danner123

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When measuring a voltage with a DMM does the the DMM see the current across the two points probed?

For example, if I have a circuit that draws 2.5Amps across a load. If I measure the voltage across that load, do I need to worry that I will damage the DMM because of the 2.5A current flowing across the load?

Thanks!

No. The DMM is a high impedance when measuring voltage, so very little current will flow into it. If a significant current DID flow, that would mess up the voltage measurement.

you should connect the probe in series to the load.
Ensure the multimeter probe connected to the Ammeter prob.

No. The DMM is a high impedance when measuring voltage, so very little current will flow into it. If a significant current DID flow, that would mess up the voltage measurement.

It depends on the size of the load resistor. If he has a 1 Kohm load resistor, 2.5A would give him a 2500 volt potential across the resistor. that could exceed most voltmeters max voltage.
:lol:

It depends on the size of the load resistor. If he has a 1 Kohm load resistor, 2.5A would give him a 2500 volt potential across the resistor. that could exceed most voltmeters max voltage.
:lol:

That was an answer to a totally different question.

When measuring a voltage with a DMM does the the DMM see the current across the two points probed?
No You cant see the Current ,But you can calculate the curent by mesuaring the Voltage with and without Load.

For example said:
Yes You can mesure with DMM but the mesuaring voltage that should be in the range of you are mesuaring .

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back