Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller choice for SPI to CAN conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamuti

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I'm doing a project in which voltage and current measurements are needed to be converted to CAN 2. I'm searching for a microcontroller that do this task in the simplest possible scheme. voltage measurement board is a special chip and requires to be controlled by some specific set of commands. So, I cannot use options like MCP2515 and need to choose a suitable microcontroller. Do you guys have any suggestion? If yes please let me know as I need to make a decision very fast.

Thanks,
Mahmoud

Hello

I'm not very familiar with micro controllers and prefer an evaluation board. Do you know any option?

Thanks
Mahmoud

Again, look at Microchip, they have eval boards. Also, Atmel.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, look at Microchip, they have eval boards. Also, Atmel.

Do you really require SPI bus?
The CAN capable controllers I've seen, communicate with the CAN transceiver via TX, RX and strobe lines.

Hello Schmitt

I have sensors that send out data via SPI (slave) and I need to convert them to CAN and send for longer distances.

How long a distance? You could just convert it to RS-422; it's a lot simpler than dealing with the CAN protocol.

Sorry; I misunderstood you. Now I understand what you want:

sensor ---(SPI)--> microcontroller ----(Rx/Tx)-----> CAN transceiver -----(CANBus)------> External World

There are many, many microcontrollers with those capabilities. As Barry mentions, a Microchip, STMicro or NXP website parametric search would be your best bet.
I've seen the Atmel (now part of Microchip) AT90CAN32 used in exactly the environment you require, although it will have far more I/O that you probably require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back