Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Keysight ADS 2016 design query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pri6

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project to create a DC-10GHz amplifier with a flat gain over the entire frequency range. For this I have selected NLB 310(Cascadable broadband InGaP/GaAs MMIC amplifier). This might be a very basic question but I am very new to ADS software and I am unable to find MMIC in the component list and the demo kits. Do I need to import MMIC component? If so, then how can I do it?

Last edited:

I have to do analysis of S parameters. Will using a black box give me similar results as an MMIC?

You can request measured s-parameters from QORVO.They will assist you..

Reactions: Pri6

Pri6

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I have to do analysis of S parameters. Will using a black box give me similar results as an MMIC?

If you want to do linear simulation only (S-parameters), then I agree with BigBoss that you should contact QUORVO and ask for the device S-parameters. The *.s2p file is then included in ADS using the S2P element.

The amplifier "black box" models that I mentioned are based on data sheet values to include large signal effects, so that's a higher level of abstraction than the *.s2p files, and less accurate for small signal frequency response.

Pri6

I got the .s2p file from Quorvo but it is giving me error.
simulation_error.jpgsimulation_error.jpg

but this same file is working in PUFF2.1. Am i doing something wrong?

No error in file. as i said its working with another software. not with ADS. Does the file need to be stored in any specific location?

No error in file. as i said its working with another software. not with ADS. Does the file need to be stored in any specific location?

With this error message, it really indicates a problem with the *.s2p file. Can you upload it here?

The best location for *.snp files is the data directory of your workspace. This is the ADS default data path, and the project will work out of the box when the workspace is moved to another computer. If you store to other locations, the full absolute file path to the *.s2p is stored in the S2P data item, and that full path is machine-dependent.

Last edited:

With this error message, it really indicates a problem with the *.s2p file. Can you upload it here?

The best location for *.snp files is the data directory of your workspace. This is the ADS default data path, and the project will work out of the box when the workspace is moved to another computer. If you store to other locations, the full absolute file path to the *.s2p is stored in the S2P data item, and that full path is machine-dependent.

PFA the file (I couldnt attach s2p file so i copied the data and uploaded txt file)

Also i changed the location of the file to C:\Program Files\Keysight\ADS2016_01\tools\lib\Data and it still didnt work

Attachments

• NBL310_s2p.txt
    166 KB · Views: 72

I have checked the file and it has no problem.
ss.png

- - - Updated - - -

PFA the file (I couldnt attach s2p file so i copied the data and uploaded txt file)

Also i changed the location of the file to C:\Program Files\Keysight\ADS2016_01\tools\lib\Data and it still didnt work

ADS does not like Windows based path names ( spaces,special characters etc) .Put this file under project directory that doesn't include "spaces" in the path name.

ADS does not like Windows based path names ( spaces,special characters etc) .Put this file under project directory that doesn't include "spaces" in the path name.

You are right, it's the file path.

@Pri6: Wrong place for the file. ADS workspaces and data never go to the ADS installation path. Instead, you should have created a user work directory during ADS installation, and that should not have a space in the path name, as BigBoss mentioned.

The S2P then goes to the data directory inside the (corresponding) ADS workspace, see #9.

ok. I tried to do it the same way. but i am still getting the error. 1.jpg

Now my s2p file is in my workspace data folder and the path does not have any spacebars. (file path: C:\H-da\simulation\MyWorkspace2_wrk\data)

Do the ADS software and workspace need to be in same location? (ADS location: C:\Program Files\Keysight\ADS2016_01)

Can I uninstall ADS and reinstall it? In that case would I be able to reinstall the license?

ADS workspace absolutely do not need to be in the same location as the installation. In fact you should never put user files into the installation directory.

Do not re-install ADS. Your installation is working fine.

The problem is, as indicated, an issue with the s2p file at the line number listed in the error message. It is showing that the problem starts at the last number (S22A) on the last line (20GHz) of the s-parameter file. There appears to be an extra space character at the end of that line for some reason. You could try deleting that space or the entire last line, as you are not simulating that frequency anyway, and the simulation should work.

Pri6

The problem is, as indicated, an issue with the s2p file at the line number listed in the error message. It is showing that the problem starts at the last number (S22A) on the last line (20GHz) of the s-parameter file. There appears to be an extra space character at the end of that line for some reason.

The extra space char is there, and above I said that something must be wrong in the S2P file ....but over here, it did work with the downloaded file with ADS 2016.01.

Pri6

Now its working. there was a null character at the end of file as you guys said. Thanks so much for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back