Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How reduce slew rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berger.h

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have DAC AD5689R 16bit , slew rate 1.6V/us (Gain 2x) , complete with an external analog switch 10V/us.
I need to extend the slew rate , programmable with min 8 step for example
1V/ms
5V/ms
10V/ms
50V/ms
0,1V/us
0,5V/us

Something should probably be done digitally over DAC, but something requires an external hw .
I devised analog switch any as DG211 and connect capacitors.
Advise some funny solution or appnote dealing with this problem?

Slew rate might specify the signal waveform sufficiently for your application (large ramped voltage steps?) but generally you'll also care for settling time and glitches when designing a DAC application circuit.

For ramps with defined slew rate, you can either take a purely analog or a digital signal processing plus reconstruction filter approach.

The former solution can be e.g. implemented by a saturated error amplifier plus integrator, essentially two OPs.

Digital signal processing design starts with selecting a useful sampling rate. 1 - 2 MS/s could work with AD5689, but requires fast DSP capabilities. Then define an output filter that generates (almost) linear ramp from a respective staircase. 3rd order Bessel low pass with fg = 1/3 Fs worked for me.

Thanks for information.
My current proposal
AD5689R include two DAC.
First DAC setting Main level output voltage for example 0V,output is on summing amplifier.
Second DAC setting Transient level output voltage for example 2.5V.
Second DAC is connect to summing amplifier over switch (Probably external because internal switch is slow 4.8us vs 500ns for external switch)
This solution makes it easy to move from any level to any other with always the same slew rate.
One MCU eith the greatest probability any STM32F3 drive four of the same section section. Section works os one or four separate.

Slew rate seting is integrtion amplifier + 4 switch any as DG211 see picture , this make 12 slew level or
with 8 switch any as DG452 and 8 capacitors ove feedback on error amplifier in other section of design.
It works around both, but both are complex and due to the need to use better amplifiers or switche expensive solutions.

The goal was a simple and inexpensive design, with no Slew rate section there I have 10 amlifier as AD712, Unfortunately, the ad712 is about $ 4 in Europe (TME or Farnell)

Slew1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back