Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

implementation of a band-pass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The attenuation will be given by the filter's components. ADS will show what is the attenuation if you use the Filter Design guide...

I am using that but ... I can't even set my filter order ...
When I choose a low-pass filter I can set the filter order easily but for a band-pass filter, it doesn't work...
so I have 2 problems now!
1- I can't set filter order using Filter Design Guide (N=5, e-r,bans-pass)
2- then attenuation

- - - Updated - - -

If you give the known specifications for your filter, we can possibly clarify how far the remaining parameters are already determined by it. Or implement a design example.
sure, an equal ripple band-pass with a center frequency of 3.5GH and FBW=20%...for 5dB, N=5

1- I can't set filter order using Filter Design Guide (N=5, e-r,bans-pass)
2- then attenuation
Filter's order gives the attenuation.
sure, an equal ripple band-pass with a center frequency of 3.5GH and FBW=20%...for 5dB, N=5
Try with Maximally flat with following parameters:
Ap=5 dB
As= 122 dB
Fs1=0.28 GHz
Fp1=2.8 GHz
Fp2=4.2 GHz
Fs2=42 GHz

That gives a 5th order Band Pass filter.

Filter's order gives the attenuation.

Try with Maximally flat with following parameters:
Ap=5 dB
As= 122 dB
Fs1=0.28 GHz
Fp1=2.8 GHz
Fp2=4.2 GHz
Fs2=42 GHz

That gives a 5th order Band Pass filter.
but it's an equal-ripple one

Do you want 5 dB pass band ripple?

Chebyshev 3.5 GHz 20% 5th 5dB.gif

Do you want 5 dB pass band ripple?

View attachment 138721
yes, that's what I want

- - - Updated - - -

Now, I'm trying to design it using "Passive Circuit DG - Microstrip Circuits" feature of ADS...when click the "design "it shows the following warning ..how can I modify it?Capture.PNG

5 dB ripple is quite high, that's true. It involves particularly a high Q of individual LC sections and respective sensitivity against parameter variations, also possibly extreme L and C values.

I don't know if it's an exercise or a real hardware design problem.

I wonder why my manual values of capacitors and inductors are not even close to the values ADS gives ...

- - - Updated - - -

I got these using ADS:
1.PNG and2.PNG
but I have these values from manual calculations:
for example : C1 = 0.1066 pF , L1= 19.3919 nH
What's wrong?

I got similar values as ADS with Nuhertz Filter Solutions. How did you calculate the filter? Same topology, same parameters?

It is very difficult to implement a 5th order band pass filter with only 1 pair of capacitor and inductor..

I see C1 = 0.1066 pF , L1= 19.3919 nH if you design the filter for 0.5 dB pass band ripple.

I guess I had some mistakes in the manual calculation ...thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back