Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Minimum Signal Using VNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthackst

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working a inductive based sensor, and am trying to quantify what the minimum signal I should be able to detect on a VNA will be.

I have a function that can generate my theoretical S11 measurement for the sensor. From searching online, I know the typical noisefloor of the VNA when making the smallest frequency span measurement possible (1 Hz for certain models). If I include how much noise my sensor generates, I think my expression for min detectable signal would be of the familiar form:

S11_min = NoiseFloor + NF_sensor + SNR_min

Where NF would be the noise figure of my sensor and SNR_min would be the minimum SNR.

My questions are:

1) Does my above logic make sense? I'm not very familiar doing noise analysis
2) How do I determine SNR_min? I've only ever had this value given to me, I'm not actually sure where it comes from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back