Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation of latch with concurrent statements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahmood.n

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wrote a T latch with concurrent statements in VHDL

Code:
entity tlatch is
	port( t, e: in bit;
	q, qb: inout bit);
end;
architecture x of tlatch is
	signal o1, o2: bit;
begin
	o1 <= t and e and q;
	o2 <= t and e and qb;
	q <= o1 nor qb;
	qb <= q nor o2;
end;

As I simulate this code with active-hdl, I get this error

Code:
# KERNEL: Stopped at time 0 ps + 10000.
# KERNEL: Error: KERNEL_0160 Delta count overflow. Increase the iteration limit using -i argument for asim or the matching entry in simulation preferences.
I increased the value from 5000 to 10000 but still get the same error.
Any idea?

I have seen them same "T latch" and also a "JK latch" in internet publications and even in a book. According to my understanding of digital logic, it can't be implemented. You can make a physically plausible gate simulation by adding transport delay to each of the four gates and see what happens. I expect a kind of gated ring oscillator.

A T-FF can be modeled as purely combinational circuit around a master slave FF or a similar circuit with edge edge sensitive behavior.

I wrote a T latch with concurrent statements in VHDL

Code:
entity tlatch is
	port( t, e: in bit;
	q, qb: inout bit);
end;
architecture x of tlatch is
	signal o1, o2: bit;
begin
	o1 <= t and e and q;
	o2 <= t and e and qb;
	q <= o1 nor qb;
	qb <= q nor o2;
end;

As I simulate this code with active-hdl, I get this error

Code:
# KERNEL: Stopped at time 0 ps + 10000.
# KERNEL: Error: KERNEL_0160 Delta count overflow. Increase the iteration limit using -i argument for asim or the matching entry in simulation preferences.
I increased the value from 5000 to 10000 but still get the same error.
Any idea?

I can assure you that even the best simulators out there will choke when seeing this type of logic. I don't want to go into details of update cycles, deltas, etc, but essentially this logic puts the simulator in a loop. Increasing the iteration limit will not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back