Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PT100 and PIC A/D port

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzzy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pt100 pic

Hi,

In your opinion which is the best way to interface PT100 to an A/D Pic16f876 port?
is there any IC suitable? how can I filter PT100 signal to have a good temperature sensor? is there any trick?

pic pt100

The PT100 has its ΔR/°C≈0.385Ω/°C
Your PIC has 10-bit A/D, what represents 1024 levels (≈0.0049mV per level).

If feed PT100 from ≈12.72mA constant current source you will have exactliy 1°C resolution. Is this what you are after?

pt100 schematic

so i don't need any kind of filter? can i connect pt100 directly to pic? this is what i wanted to know.

where i can find a good schematic of contant curren source for pt100?

Thanks for your help

pt100 application note

Check this paper.
Check www.analog.com application note AN-709
and microchip application note AN-687

fuzzzy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pt100 microcontroller

To connet PT100 you PIC A/D input you don't need a special filter. Just use, say, 10µF tantalum capacitor and 5.1V zener diodr in parallel with the PT100 sensor/A/D input pin. Temperature doesn't change in µ or ms time (10µF cap) and 5.1V zener will protect the input against open circuit (voltage from constant current) ..

Added after 15 minutes:

As costant current circuit you can use LM317L voltage regulator. Here is its data sheet:
**broken link removed**
On page 9 you will find precision current limiter ..

Good luck ..

fuzzzy

pt100 interface

For P100 constant current very important.Must be use a/d referance and current same source.If current source be dependent temperature all measurments wrong.Pls read analog device application note.

fuzzzy

pt100 con pic

That is very true what you said, and I read ANs from ANALOG, but you from your 1st post you indicated that the A/D conversion will be done by a PIC and this microcontroller has only 10-bit resolution.

Voltage drifts of voltage regulators such as 317L (7805, ...) lay much below 10-bit resolution level, so you can safely use them as voltage/current refereces..

Different story with 16-bit, 18-bit or 24-bit A/D converters..
There one have to be very careful what one uses as voltage or current reference source..

My pt-100 giving triuble, whene i measure it with ohm meter it's resistance changes with temperature(30degree C normal room temperature, pt-100=25ohms)
but when i connect it in sires with 200ohm feeding with 5volt, pt 100 show 0ohms!!!!
and resistance not change with temperature.

Whats d problem?????

Status
Not open for further replies.