Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] Optical interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahk

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, can the optical interference occur between two LEDs which spectra are partially overlapped??

Interference, on which sense ?
Both devices are emitters, not sensors.

Interference occurs with coherent light, e.g. laser light. It's effectively irrelevant for LEDs, either when using one or multiple LEDs.

Interference effects can be still observed when non-coherent light interacts with dielectric layers of wavelength dimension, e.g. the "dichroic" colors of a soap bubble.

Ok. I have mixed two lights in an integrant sphere couple with an optical fiber and i have placed a camera (which is a linear sensor) at the end of the optical fiber for readout, usually the resultant power must be sum of the individual power, but it is not the case here, i have a power leak up to 10%. At low power i had good results, however once i increase the LEDs power this phenomena occurs in a destructive sense.

No, it is not possible. To see any interference you have to use (more or less) coherent light. Light from two sources like LEDs will not be coherent at all. Although it is possible to see interference pattern just by using light from one LED. You can build Michelson-Morley interferometer and use LED as a light source. But then path length of two arms must be equal. It is possible to see such a pattern but you must pay an attention to balance two arms of the interferometer. Further details in google.com under "white light interferometer" and "white light interferometry".

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back