Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ram accessing through VHDL code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijithr1

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am Abhijith . I am new to VHDL programming , i want to read data from RAM and the RAM ic is IDT70V08S/L this is high speed dual ported ram . In our design we have Micro controller and FPGA connected to this dual ported RAM , microcontroller writes to the RAM in address 0x00 to 0xff and FPGA should read data from 0x00 and write from the address 0x100 so that micro-controller should read the data which it has written but from different memory location .

you will need to design a memory controller in VHDL that performs read / write operations. This is not a beginners project. Your FPGA vendor provides IP cores, you can also search on opencores.org if you can find an SRAM controller that works with your memory. I don't know of any, never worked with assynchronous SRAM. Be sure you read the datasheet carefully.

What FPGA are you using?

I have never seen dedicated SRAM controller IP.

Question 1: Which FPGA internal data path is connecting to the SRAM? Is it e.g. a streaming interface?

Question 2: What's the reason to use the external dual port RAM instead of implementing it in FPGA block RAM?

Driving an asynchronous RAM from FPGA is simple and straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.