Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interesting Problem with on-chip PRBS Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovelPanda

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All:

Due to limitation on measurement facilities, I need to design an on-chip 28Gb/s PRBS to generate data stream for testing. To minimize area and achieve high speed, I have designed a full-rate PRBS-4 which is composed of 4-DFF, 1-XOR and 1 additional DFF for re-timing. The DFF is master-slave that has no re-start control. The input 28Gb/s CLK can be easily generated by a clean external source. In transient simulation (post-layout with C+CC extraction, APS, conservative, Error preset= conservative, Transient noise included), the 28Gb/s output eye and DFT are shown as figure 1 and 2 below. However, when there is no CLK coming in, the PRBS still generates data stream with eye diagram (period=2/14G) and DFT shown as figure 3 and 4 below. What later surprised me is that, when I set the APS (in High-Performance simulation) Error Preset to "do not override" (figure below), there is no data output, but the PRBS still work well in 28Gb/s when CLK comes in. So is it a normal phenomenon for PRBS or an ill design, or the setting error of Specre APS? If it is a wrong design, what further steps should I take to correct it? In addition, I have no idea what is the meaning of "do not override" in APS. Compared to "conservative", which one is more likely to generate a more trustful result?

Thanks in advance!

Eye_Wi_CLK.pngDFT_Wi_CLK.pngEye_WO_CLK.pngDFT_WO_CLK.pngAPS.png

Last edited:

Error preset set to "do not override" uses preset from transient analysis. So if you have conservative preset in transient analysis and instead of this you get two different results for aps err preset settings, I would check if the netlists for both simulations are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back