Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Skin dept versus maximum wire diameter in Smps transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvu

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a bit confused what is the maximum ECW diameter versus skin dept

For example if according to the frequency of operation the maximum skin dept is 0.5mm

1) What will be the maximum diameter of ECW can be used is it 0.5mm or 1mm?

2) If I have to twist a bundle of 4 wires will the overall bundle diameter be considered as maximum diameter?

3) What will give the best coupling in ferrite transformer winding, twisted wires or wires side by side?

Any help will be greatly appriciated

Regards Salvu

skin.png
1) What will be the maximum diameter of ECW can be used is it 0.5mm or 1mm?
ANS: 1mm by theory, but less than 1 with multiple wire will reduce both AC and DC resistance of the enameled copper wire

2) If I have to twist a bundle of 4 wires will the overall bundle diameter be considered as maximum diameter?
ANS: Select lowest wire diameter as per skin depth calculator find out cross sectional area of the wire then divided by required area (As per current ratting) then you will get how many strands require

3) What will give the best coupling in ferrite transformer winding, twisted wires or wires side by side?
ANS: Twisted wire

Attachments

• skin.png
    skin.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: Salvu

Salvu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ideal conductor diameter dx2
It depends. In coil geometries where the current flow is pushed to one side of the conductor due to proximity effect, dx2 can still involve a noticeable AC resistance increase.

Strands of enameled wire are a means to reduce skin effect. Proximity effect does still occur, wire diameter should be <dx1.

Reactions: Salvu

Salvu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much for your help.
one last question to make things more clear please.
When using Excellent IT software. According to the skin dept shown on the software mean that I can double the diameter is that correct?

Regards, Salvu

Thank you FVM. Keeping diameters less than the maximum helps for less losses in AC resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.