Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connect Floating GND to Chassis GND

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXRX

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

See attached, I have uC that has pulse output of +3.3V connect to pulse convert circuit - both of them have GND that relate to chassis, the pulse voltage at the output of the pulse converter is 28V relate to GND chassis.

I want to provide the pulse to unit A which has Floating GND, i can not to connect the floating GND to the chassis GND, how can i connect the floating GND to the Chassis GND ?

Thanks,

Doron

Attachments

• GND Topology.jpg
    GND Topology.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 102

If you want to connect a floating ground to a physical ground, please use a small resistor. The real value may depend on the circuit, power and voltage levels. Avoid capacitors.

The easiest way is using optocouplers (see the attach).
And if you unit A needs strictly 28 V pulses, then it must have it's own isoltated 28 V supply rail.
But be aware of possible high-voltage between different grounds, you might need to place a resistor between grounds.
isolated.png

If you want to connect a floating ground to a physical ground, please use a small resistor. The real value may depend on the circuit, power and voltage levels. Avoid capacitors.

I did not mention at the drawing but at unit A there a resistor of 3K between Floating GND to Chassis GND, i do not want to reduce the resistance with a another resistor so i search for other solutions ?

It is never a good idea to keep grounds floating; the actual potentials on different parts becomes meaningless.

In the sketch you made, the pulse will be not supplying much current load and 3K connection between the floating and real ground is ok.

use an opto coupler or Pulse transformer or Opto isolator

The easiest way is using optocouplers (see the attach).
And if you unit A needs strictly 28 V pulses, then it must have it's own isoltated 28 V supply rail.
But be aware of possible high-voltage between different grounds, you might need to place a resistor between grounds.
View attachment 138244

At unit A there is resistor ok 3K between Floating GND to Chassis GND.

Status
Not open for further replies.