Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CD4033 higher input frequency variant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to build a MCU-free frequency counter and I have found this circuit (attached). Several of these can be cascaded for measuring higher frequencies.

However it's max input frequency is something like 10MHz or so, at 12v.

I am looking for another variant that can do up to 30MHz.
Can you please suggest one?

Attachments

• frecount.PNG
    frecount.PNG
    134 KB · Views: 55

Sorry, but what you've got there, contrary to the title, is NOT a frequency counter. It's just a counter. I would suggest you just use a small cpld to do what you want.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Connecting a LED display without current limiting resistors at 9V supply will typically exceed the CD4033 absolute maximum ratings and potentially fry the IC. Apparently a copy-and-paste error when picking up the original circuit from https://www.homemade-circuits.com

Clock speed limit is imposed by basic properties of the 4xxx high voltage logic. There's no fast logic family with >5V supply.

neazoi

For a frequency counter, requires an accurate timing gate, which will allow the pulses to be counted within a preset time. The original circuit as drawn, as shown IS NOT a frequency counter, but a simple pulse counter.

But to your question....have you checked whether the CD4033 is available in the 74HC40xx series?

Those circuits are anywhere from 10 to 20 times faster than the CD40xx series.

Last edited:

neazoi

The CD4033 only has standard CMOS outputs, it isn't intended to drive LEDs even with current limiting resistors in each segment. The data sheet shows suggested driver circuits if LEDs or some other types of display are used.

I concur, the circuit is only a counter, it can't tell you the frequency of input pulses, only how many of them there are.

Brian.

neazoi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back