Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding a current excitation circuit using Op Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

faiz18

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am working on a project to sense the temperature using RTDs (Resistance Temperature detectors). I need some help in understanding the circuit attached. I am using this to excite a RTD sensor in order to measure the voltage across it that I can later correlate to temperature.

Also are there any other ways to produce a constant current source like this one.

Thank you for your time and appreciate all the help.

Faizan

Attachments

• RTD_circuit.jpg
    RTD_circuit.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 66

It's a Howland current source variant. Many previous threads about it can be found at Edaboard.

Reactions: faiz18

faiz18

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi FvM,

Thank you for the quick reply. I had a look at the previous posts but I still have some missing pieces.

I am trying to get a constant current source using the above schematic. To output a current of 1 mA from an input voltage of 3.3V, I believe I need to have matching resistors for R6, R7, R9 and R10 = 33KOhms and my R8 should be around 3.3Kohms. So my question is, the resistors R6-10, will they influence the current running through the circuit or the only resistor that matters is the R8?

Sorry if its a naive question, I am still learning. Thank you in advance for the help.

Your calculation is correct for four equal resistors, other resistor combinations are however possible, e.g. R6=R9, R7=R10, Iout = Vref/R8*(R7/R6). The circuit has the disadvantage of output resistance depending on good resistor matching.

I would prefer a simpler current source like below. Vref can be a simple 1.2V shunt reference or a Vcc voltage divider. In many RTD measurement circuits, there's no need for a precise voltage reference. Instead use a ratiometric circuit, same reference (e.g. logic supply voltage) for current source and ADC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back