Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontrollers Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjtpower

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Friends
I want to understand the basics of microcontrollers input and output modes of microcontrollers,
What is push pull/open collector/open drain..?
So I can configure the controller well.

Very basic information which clear my basic understanding related with I/o ports,peripherals interfacing and adc interfacing

Regards
Marx

Starting with 8051 will be good
https://ee.sharif.edu/~sakhtar3/books/8051 Microcontrollers An Applications Based Introduction.pdf

Micro controller input should be analog(Connect to ADC) or digital(connect to configurable port)
Output open-drain ports : The output acts like a switch to ground. It cannot produce a high (+5V or any voltage ) signal by itself. The pull up resistor is used so that when the switch is open the output will be high. When the switch is closed the output will be low (0V)
https://community.silabs.com/t5/8-bit-MCU/Push-Pull-or-Open-Drain/td-p/42245

Push Pull --> It has the ability to both source and sink current.

Open Collector/ Open Drain --> It has the ability to only sink current. Its two states are low and high-impedance. Most applications use an external pull-up resistor on any Open Collector/ Open Drain output. Open Collector/ Open Drain is having multiple external devices drive a single, active-low interrupt pin on a microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.