Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear voltage regulator datasheet question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the value at 6.8 -> 8.2 ohms for a 3A max transistor. Does that sound about right before I go and solder them in?

Major part of the current passes through the collection -emitter path (ignore the base for the time being as a first approximation)- 3A passing through 7 ohm will produce a voltage drop of 21V. This is therefore too high value. The potential at the emitter will be roughly 21V and the base need to be higher still...

You need a resistor in the range of 0.5 ohm (use a 2-3W capacity). Also see post #18.

Major part of the current passes through the collection -emitter path (ignore the base for the time being as a first approximation)- 3A passing through 7 ohm will produce a voltage drop of 21V. This is therefore too high value. The potential at the emitter will be roughly 21V and the base need to be higher still...

You need a resistor in the range of 0.5 ohm (use a 2-3W capacity). Also see post #18.

Plain old V=IR huh. That other formula I found, involving 70% of the transistors current capacity, is garbage then!

Hi,

Without being too sure of how much current has to pass through the regulator, an alternative to paralleled transistors (pcb space) is a high current linear regulator, or better yet an LDO, you can get 5A ones :)

e.g.
LM138/LM338 5-Amp Adjustable Regulators
LM1084 5A Low Dropout Positive Regulators
MIC29150/29300/29500/29750 High-Current Low-Dropout Regulators 1.5A to 7.5A

There are a lot more to choose from. Not sure if a switching regulator is adequate for that part of your circuit instead.

Without being too sure of how much current has to pass through the regulator, an alternative to paralleled transistors (pcb space) is a high current linear regulator, or better yet an LDO, you can get 5A ones :)

e.g.

There are a lot more to choose from. Not sure if a switching regulator is adequate for that part of your circuit instead.

I strongly recommend this solution.

Hi,

e.g.

I thought about obtaining a high current linear device but they were around $15 each but I had a more common 1.5A device and a tonne of transistors to choose from. I figured I may as well just use learn to adapt what I already had.

I thought about obtaining a high current linear device but they were around $15 each but I had a more common 1.5A device and a tonne of transistors to choose from. I figured I may as well just use learn to adapt what I already had.

Of course you always use what you have. If this is for a one-off project, that is. Cost is always one important consideration for all projects (unless some one else is paying).

Hi

Aside from what we all have to do: adapt what components we have to the circuit... I don't know where you saw those prices, outrageous, that is three times the normal price for a fixed 5V/5A Micrel - and Micrel is slightly pricier than other brands, yet look at this electronics retailer's prices for the 5A adjustable TO-220 and TO-263 - 7GBP, VAT included...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back