Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to see MODBUS (RS-485) Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

deep.kap

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to see the traffic(data communicating) between Modbus master and slave devices on PC (Serial Terminal or any Modbus software).

When I tried to connect Master to PC, I can able to see data communicating between them on Modbus Slave software. And I also tried to connect Slave to PC, can able to see data on Modbus Master software. But when i connect Master and Slave together, they are not communicating. i also tried to connect directly Tx-Rx of Master to Tx-Rx of Slave (Bypassing MAX485), then they are communicating. But when MAX485 comes between them they are not communicating.

I'm using:
MAX485
MODBUS 3-wire protocol
RS485 to RS232 converter

Thanks

Presentation1.jpg

RS-485 MODBUS connection can be perfectly eavesdropped with RS-485 adapter and PC, much easier than RS-232 MODBUS which needs two RX ports to monitor master and slave simultaneously.

Just take care that the RS-485 adapter stays passive, TX-enable should be never activated.

You didn't tell about the RS-485 interfaces in your MODBUS setup, and how transmitters are enabled. A "popular" fault is however lack of pull-up and pull-down resistors that set the RS-485 idle level.

Status
Not open for further replies.