Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modbus RS 485 communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

aslam shaikh

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can single stranded armored cable be used for long distance mod-bus RS 485 communication.

Also please guide us if the total communication wiring system consists the looping of both single stranded & multi stranded armored cable.

Hi,

I wonder about the question.
Isn't it well defined in the RS485 standard? Isn't it well defined in internet sources like wikipedia?

You are looking for someone to tell you that it works beyond the specifications.
For sure many people may have tested it using single stranded cables...maybe with good results.

My example:
You go climbing, your weight is 80kg, but the rope you have is specified for 70kg only.
Would you ask if someone has tested the same rope with 80kgs?
And if you find someone who has tested it with good results...would you rely on that?

--> My recommendation: keep on the specifications.

Klaus

What do you mean with "single stranded armored cable"? Coaxial cable? Can you refer to a commonly known cable type?

What's long distance for you? Any baud rate requirements? RS-485 is normally using unshielded or shielded twisted pair, for longer distance or higher baud rates with terminations resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.