Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage controlled current source circuit needed for high currents

Status
Not open for further replies.
crutschow and Klaus here is the reason I didnt use a non inverting opamp:

Simulations were not how I wanted.

If I use LMC6482 as in following way:
mosupp.png

Here are plots for input to the non inverting input(blue), output of the op amp and the power dissipated:
mosuppgraph.png
As you see above output voltage is not pulled to zero also note that the pulses get distorted. And so much power is dissipated.

And if I use the following one:

mosuppx.png

Now the power dissipation is less but there is like 8mV offset again in the output when PWM is OFF. In INAMP it goes to zero.
I also tried with LM358 same issue.

Maybe better to draw a sketch of the topology what you mean if my circuit is wrong. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

What Klauss is trying to say here:

is that your IRL3803 is already a logic level N channel mosfet (a very good one for this application by the way..), which means, you can drive it directly from the MCU_PWM pin with a properly selected resistor at the gate.

-----

That is necessary only if you implement the active low pass filter suggested by Klauss. If you stick with the Instrumentation OP amp, you are good...

I didnt get the last part. If I use the INAMP above the MOSFET as in my circuit, I cannot use an active filter? Better to draw than words I guess,

Last edited:

I didnt get the last part. If I use the INAMP above the MOSFET as in my circuit, I cannot use an active filter? Better to draw than words I guess,
Solution 1): you can use an active filter with high order (e.g. 3rd order suggested by crutshow) but with no gain. You can use a simple passive RC LPF.
Solution 2): doing it like Klauss suggested, current sensing must be on the soruce path.

How can I design an active 2nd order butterworth with gain for about 20Hz LPF?
Is there a practical tool for that when you plug in 20Hz cut off and gain it outputs the component values on a topology?

If I can have that I wouldn't need the -5V voltage converter and an INAMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.