Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CST Microwave studio - Continuous Wave Simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstking

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a project in which I need to generate FMCW chirp type continuous signal and receive its echoes from an object.

I tried some signal generations for FMCW in other SWs like LabView or Matlab. Now I need to a way to send that signal and record the received one. I know that CST can simulate the object of interest and its EM characteristics. But not sure if I can generate FMCW signal from a some distance and send towards the object surrounded by another object and then save the reflected signal.

It doesn't have to be the CST for this problem, anything for a solution will be welcomed.

Thanks.

Hi,

In CST, you can apply pre-made signals to the RF ports. All you have to do is export the signal that you created with Matlab or LabView etc. in ASCII .txt format. Than import the .txt file that you created to the CST in order to excite the ports.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the clue. I will do it. In the meantime, how can I assign a point acting as a receiver and can record receiving wave information? Any example file is also ok without long explanations I don't want to make somebody spend lot time for me. Just looking for examples or solutions.

Hi,

In CST, you can apply pre-made signals to the RF ports. All you have to do is export the signal that you created with Matlab or LabView etc. in ASCII .txt format. Than import the .txt file that you created to the CST in order to excite the ports.

Hope this helps,

Btw, do I need to match the timestep of sampled fmcw to the CST solver. If so, how?

Hi,

At the moment CST is not installed on my computer and I can not explain step by step by rote. But I can give you this clue, In CST you can specify points as field monitors and CST exports time varying electric or magnetic field graphs for the specified point in the coordinate system. Try to read the program manual carefully there shuld be excessive amount of useful information about this topic.

You do not have to match the time stepping. CST make some kind of linear interpolation to your time domain signal. I attached a drawing which explains your sample points with black dots and CST interpolation with red lines.
timestep.png

Hi,

At the moment CST is not installed on my computer and I can not explain step by step by rote. But I can give you this clue, In CST you can specify points as field monitors and CST exports time varying electric or magnetic field graphs for the specified point in the coordinate system. Try to read the program manual carefully there shuld be excessive amount of useful information about this topic.

You do not have to match the time stepping. CST make some kind of linear interpolation to your time domain signal. I attached a drawing which explains your sample points with black dots and CST interpolation with red lines.
View attachment 138318

Hi, I am now able to do it thanks, the field monitors are bit hard to find at the first glance. Appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back