Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to level-shift a MCU generated PWM signal into a dual-polarity signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

You who are regulars here on edaboard are probably aware of my other thread(s) dealing with a MCU based DC-DC converter with the intended application of driving an personal vaporizer.

I have just heard some for me completely unheard of things(not that it is surprising I haven't heard of it before), I stumbled upon a thread on another forum posted few years ago by a guy who had a long career in... I can't recall exactly but it had to do with heating and welding.
And he wrote that it is a fact that if a heating element is driven by DC current then 2/3 of the heating will take place in the heating coils most positive portion(I am trying to get a hold of him to ask more, but he was mentioning this in a personal vaporizer forum and he was writing about such coils as I will use with my device).

So there will not be equal heating through the hole coil, which doesn't sound as something one would prefer in a device for those purposes, and he went on to say that by using AC that effect was cancelled due to obvious reasons(current direction changing direction so the heating becomes equal over the hole coil).

Does anyone here know about this effect?
Is this true... Someone wrote something more in that thread that I interpreted as pointing to this affect in some way has to do with reactance but I can't understand how this would work.

Before I come to the point of it all I have also realised another thing, the reason why I wouldn't use unfiltered PWM was because it have been shown in early devices for personal vaporizer purposes that such an waveform isn't pleasant to use, however those devices used really low frequencies. Something like 800Hz, and so if I would use a unfiltered PWM signal but at 100kHz then I would think it would be another situation entirely(I didn't realize all this my own though).

So that leads me to wonder, how would one use a µC generated PWM signal to generate a PWM waveform spanning equal values above and below 0V?

My other design would use two Li-Ion batteries to create 8,4V-6,4V so I would think that using those two series 3,7V Li-Ion batteries to generate ±3,7V to generate a dual polarity supply could work.

But it depends on what sort of circuit one would use to level-shift the PWM into a dual polarity signal.

I recently started to think about this but so far I haven't found out anything, but if I am not mistaken isn't this exactly what a Full-Bridge switching circuit is used for?

Regards

Hi,

So that leads me to wonder, how would one use a µC generated PWM signal to generate a PWM waveform spanning equal values above and below 0V?
Yes, often used: a full bridge.

Klaus

Reactions: David_

David_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Yes, often used: a full bridge.

Klaus

No, he wants to go the other direction. ;-)

Put a series cap on the output.
It blocks the DC and you get a AC signal.

No, he wants to go the other direction. ;-)

Put a series cap on the output.
It blocks the DC and you get a AC signal.

Hmm, I can't really imagine how the result of that would look.
I'll have to test it when I get home, I have always been pussled by the details of using series capacitor in signal paths. And although I don't know I would to begin with question the ability to pass the equivalent of 40A DC current through a capacitor.
If I relate to the ripple current ratings if capacitors used for input/output capacitors in DC-DC converters then unless there are some super capacitor I don't know of I don't think this is viable.

Unless the intent was to only level shift the signal with the capacitor and then buffer that new signal?
But then why not go with a H-bridge since transistors will be needed.

What Klaus is mentioning is correct. It is called a Bridge Tied Load (BTL).
The load will see a waveform which alternates between positive and negative voltages, as long as the load is completely "floating".

Reactions: David_

David_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What Klaus is mentioning is correct. It is called a Bridge Tied Load (BTL).
The load will see a waveform which alternates between positive and negative voltages, as long as the load is completely "floating".

Do you have an example ?

Klaus stated 'full bridge' I assumed he meant a full wave bridge. used in going AC to DC.

Now a 'H bridge' with a inverter

I don't know what I will do, I think I will go ahead with my of original design scheme(buck-converter) but I will make sure that I design the PCB so that I can drive the heating element from the raw PWM just as easily as from the filtered output. Because I can't know if the filter matters in this application.

If the filter doesn't matter then a Full H-Bridge sounds as something that would probably be smaller than an buck-converter given the filter components in a buck-converter.

However I wonder a couple of things, first, I searched for full bridge drivers and it turns out that unless I failed to find any of them at mouser.com there aren't any such integrated circuits. I then conclude that probably I am supposed to use two half-bridge drivers but the control of these are quickly creating problems for my reasoning.

In the interest to speed up any design and to actually get to do the fun thing which is all the stuff one needs to do when a prototype have been made I would really like to use any IC such that contains both the driver(s) and MOSFETs.

I have moved passed using the following IC for my buck converter but the UCD7232 which is a "Digital Control Compatible Synchronous-Buck Gate Driver
" can be used such that you need one PWM signal for each of the MOSFETs, and if I can control the two MOSFET of a synchronous buck converter then couldn't I use 2 such ICs and have them working together to constitute a full H-bridge?

Hi,

to level-shift the PWM into a dual polarity signal
Now you talk about a buck converter...but it can't output dual polarity...

What do you really want to achieve?

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.