Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-standard PCB stackup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike79

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI all
I wonder have anyone ever made non-standard rigid PCB which has different thicknesses in different areas.I remember seeing some PCB ads with SMT resistor components deep in PCB (under PCB surface area).
PCB Thickness.PNG
In attachment I try to make 0.5mm thickness in areas where batteries to reduce overall thickness, while other areas 1mm to have mechanically more rigid PCB there.
I've met difficulties with PCB manufacturers making this board. They say "making solder mask in both thickness areas problematic".

It's definitely possible and can be made by specialized PCB houses. I would try to make it with industry standard technologies like flex-rigid because many PCB makers are doing it these days. Or ask one of the flex-rigid experts if they can make your requested staggered rigid-rigid design at affordable costs.

Yes it can be done... Done it myself but on projects with BIG budgets (Mil) expect to pay.

Thanks for feedback FvM and marce,

I understand it is possible. Also I understand it will cost more.
Can you please provide some reference how much more it will cost. x2 or x3 or how much more compare to normal let say 4 layer PCB same size.

Hard to say, PCB pricing is a dark art and depends on the fabricators, how busy they are, where the moon is in its cycle and a million other things. Talk to Wurth or similar.

Thanks to some other friendly help was defined that PCB fabricator can make it for $2.3/pcs at 1000pcs
My previous standard quotation without this feature of different thicknesses in different areas was $0.45.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back