Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time stamps to each data samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

viyaaloth

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

can anyone tell me about the concept of time stamping.. How can I attach time stamping to each samples from ADC which is stored in a data buffer.?

Regards,
Viyaaloth

If each sample is stored as two fields in the buffer , 1st field :time and second field :ADC sample value.

Time indicates sampling interval or at what time the sample is captured?

Time indicates sampling interval or at what time the sample is captured?
Yes, either a sample number if they are taken at fixed intervals and you know the start time or, more usually, the actual clock time the sample was taken. UNIX time is often used because it is easy to decode back to clock time/date and it has 1 second resolution.

Brian.

can anyone tell me about the concept of time stamping.. How can I attach time stamping to each samples from ADC which is stored in a data buffer.?
In terms of hardware design...

By "time stamping" do you mean to attach a real time clock value or just an info which will help you to distinguish later which ADC data was acquired first?

You can have a sufficiently large counter that increments on the rising edge of the system clock. This will provide the unique time-stamp value. Now the freshly acquired ADC value will be in a buffer register. Have another sufficiently large buffer register such that large_buff_reg >= time_stamp_data + ADC_data.
On the rising edge of the system clock copy time_stamp_data + ADC_data to the large_buff_reg and your work is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back