Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiplier from IPcore

Status
Not open for further replies.

emerson_11

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am doing a work on simple fixed point multiplication with two signed 16 bit input (say a & b) in verilog. I have a array of input where a & b has ten 16-bit input respectively. I want to multiply say a1*b1, a2*b2,etc. in parallel and i want to store the results in a register.I have used multiplier from IP core and i have instantiated in my main module. Can anyone guide how to do this in verilog coding part. Can i instantiate the multiplier 10 times in my main module. If so how could I store all these results in a register?

Yes you can instantiate the multiplier 10 times, it means you have 10 multipliers..

If so how could I store all these results in a register?

First store the result of each multiplier in separate registers. When all the o/p registers have valid data (mult complete) then put them inside a big register. You decide the order and you can use the concatenation operator {}.

Something like this comes to mind...

Code Verilog - [expand]
reg [15:0] a [0:9];
reg [15:0] b [0:9];

wire [10*32-1:0] mult_results;

generate genvar i;
  for (i=0; i<10; i=i+1) begin : multipliers
    // using a multiplier core (leaving out everything but the
    // two inputs and the result).
    multiplier  mult_inst (
      .a    (a[i]),
      .b    (b[i]),
      .mout (mult_results[32*i +:32])
    );
    // or using a simple inferrred multiplier
    assign mult_result[32*i +:32] = a[i] * b[i];
  end
endgenerate

I've left out any clocks (registers) but the concept is what I'm showing. The for loop results in a set of parallel multipliers. It is expected the inputs are already parallel and the output is in one large 320-bit wide output.

Status
Not open for further replies.