Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: SNR calculation in Sigma-delta modulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reza.mrk77

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As you know, Sigma-Delta Modulator as the core of sigma-delta ADCs defines the total SNR. I am simulating a very simple code for first order delta-sigma modulator. According to text books, the SNR of the first order modulator is calculated from:

predictedSNR = 10*log10(sig_power) + 9.03*r - 10*log10((A^2)/12) - 10*log10((pi^2)/3) r is the OSR ratio (r = log2(fs/(2*fb))) and A is the amplitude of sinusoidal input.

This is my MATLAB code:
Code:
%delta modulator FFT clear clc fs = 1280; fb = 10; A = 1; r = log2(fs/(2*fb)); t = 0:1/fs:1 - 1/fs; y(1) = 0; y(2) = 0; x = A*sin(2*pifbt); for N=2:1:fs x1(N) = x(N) - y(N-1); x2(N) = sum(x1); if x2(N) >= 0 y(N) = 1; else y(N) = -1; end end plot(abs(fft(y))/1280); y_fft = abs(fft(y))/1280; sig_power = 2*(y_fft(11)^2); noise_power = 2*sum(y_fft(1:10).^2); SNR = 10*log10(sig_power/noise_power)

predictedSNR = 10*log10(sig_power) + 9.03*r - 10*log10((A^2)/12) - 10*log10((pi^2)/3)

But the results are: SNR = 45.9814

predictedSNR =56.7738

what's wrong with my code?

Re: SNR calculation in Sigma-delta modulator

Show the spectrum of the DSM output. Are you windowing the data?

Re: SNR calculation in Sigma-delta modulator

Reza , are you sure that A is the amplitude of the input signal and not the quantization step , Why should increasing input amplitude decrease SNR ?
Can you quote the textbook ?
Can you show calcultations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back