Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toroids indictor how precise calculation of inductace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there any software or how to, for an accurate calculation of toroidal coils?
Accurate for me is taking into account the geometry of the thread.
For example her is inductance one toroid with two different geometry and I search sw for calculating real inductance

toro.png

FEM software tools e.g. ANSYS Maxwell/HFSS or FastHenry give accurate results, can you afford them ?
Otherwise you will have to go with formulas from the literature.

Toroid core Al numbers are determined with uniform distributed winding, similar to the first photo. The low permeability core involves a relative large fringe field for a non-uniform winding. I see no other option than calculating the actual field geometry with a 3D magnetic field solver and determining inductance as an integral value.

I'm not aware of a specialized tool for toroid inductors with non-uniform winding.

- - - Updated - - -

FastHenry is free and my preferred tool for arbitrary conductor configurations, but unfortunately not supporting magnetic cores.

>Toroid core Al numbers are determined with uniform distributed winding
With that I have a little problém.
I have toroid size T130 and materiál 6 her say Al=9.5 -+5%. but if i wind 3 or 6 wind with uniform distributed winding and measured L, have +30%
6turn 6*6*9.6=346nHbut measure 450nH
3turn 6*6*9.6=87nH but measure 128nH
For20 turns calculation corresponds measurements

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I see. Starting with a 1 or 2 winding coil, it's expectable that the inductance is higher than AL predicts for an uniform coil, because there's still a considerable amount of fringing field with a low µr core.

Status
Not open for further replies.