Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Direction of E-field and surface current density on a surface in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harsh_rf

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, According to the relation j = σE, the current density and E-field should be in the same direction for real σ. But in HFSS the E-field plot and surface current density plot are always in opposite directions for every surface. Why is this so?
Thanks!

It's that was because you're looking at an ideal surface.

Inside a bulk medium such as a conductor, the electric field is in the same direction as the current. On the surface (i.e., at the interface between two media), the electric field in the second medium will typically be normal to the surface if the second medium is an insulator and the first medium is a conductor.

HFSS by default does not solve inside bulk metals; it treats only the surface as boundary conditions. If you want to see the fields inside, select "Solve Inside".

Yes inside a material it is showing both in the same direction. But I didnt understand why it is showing them in opposite directions on the surface. What do you mean by an ideal surface? The interface I am plotting them is between air and an insulator or between air and a resistive sheet.
Thanks!

Yes exactly 180degree out of phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back