Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I make modelsim only compile files that have changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When using scripting to compile files and run simulation it should be possible to check if a file has changed since last time it was compiled or if it is infact a different file with the same name. In both cases, the file must be compiled again. Otherwise, it should not be compiled.

How do I do this in QuestaSim/Modelsim?

Also, by the way, what is the difference between a .do file and .tcl file in QuestaSim/Modelsim?

Although I did not do it myself before, I think you can do it using make command and a makefile like the software developers.

If you have a script than invokes vcom - then you are forcing a recompile. You could write some tcl to check timestamps, but it could be rather involved.
You may be able to use a make file as sherif123 suggested, but I never do.

A .do file is just a .tcl file.

There is an incremental flag of some sort that limits a full compile but I don't recommend using it. I recall back in the days we would regularly have to delete the work directory to fix unexplaind problems during compilation. Many of them turned out to be a corrupted work library. Deleteing it and recompiling would fix the problem and we eventually found out it was caused by that incremental switch.

Using a make file is the way to go, but it's not something I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back