Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] unconventional cut on eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayhh27

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am using EAGLE CAD software to design a board. When I want to create a library, the datasheet has this kind of cut for mounting (see on the datasheet).
Can anyone help me about how to create such a cut on the board through EAGLE? Thank you.

Best regards,

RH

usb.PNG

Hi,

you could do this with EAGLE ... with a bit of workaround.

But in this case I doubt that it is useful.

Could you give more information about the device?
I can´t think it makes sense to put a 0.5mm wide slot in a 1.6mm thick FR4 PCB.

Klaus

How to represent through-plated slits isn't particularly an Eagle problem. You need to negotiate with the PCB fab if they can make it and how the slits should be shown in gerber files.

In case of doubt, you'll plot the slit outline on a dedicated gerber layer, but there are other options.

Slit width of 0.5 mm is small but not unusual. Many recent connectors, e.g. USB-C are requiring similar PCB features.

Hi,

you need to talk with your PCB manufacturer.

With EAGLE:
create one SMD at top and one SMD at bottom. And draw the cut in the dimension layer.
(You may use only one single PIN in the SYMBOL. CONNECT both SMDs in the DEVICE)
pad_USB.png

Klaus

Generally if you can create a slot in the PCB design package then when you create the Excellon drill file it will output the slot as pecked drill data, a line of drilled holes that create the slot. (Unlike the pecking for clearing swarf from the drill bit when drilling metal etc.)

Whatever you do, ensure that you also provide a fabrication drawing that details this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back