Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Communication Protocol for Robotic Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

aredhel_vlsi

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have a question regarding the communication protocol and physical layer of how to connect the motors of a robotic arm.

I have 4 servomotors, Brushless. I need to select a motor drive for each one. The motors are: M1 shoulder- M2 elbow- M3 wrist- M4 thumb
in a daisy chain. I've seen that for similar configurations, people either choose RS485, or Ethernet or Ethercat or CanOpen, or even RS232.

How can I decide about this? Could someone summarize the drawbacks and advantages for these above?
I don't have very high requirements for the speed of the motors, I will use them for simple and slow rotations, 30W each. Of course I would prefer the simplest option with minimum number of wires and I would try to avoid to much heating. I really need robust cables because the arm is moving.

Also considering that I will also embed a camera, is it better to consider Ethernet?

I am asking the above, because I see that sometimes people support RS485 over Ethernet, but I also see solutions for Ethernet and even RS232 in some cases.

Thank you so much in advance ! If you need more details, I will comment back, but this is a rough idea I have right now.

What is the data rate output of your camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.