Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Critical path of combinational circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahmood.n

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have synthesized a combinational circuit with Quartus and I am able to see the mapped logic elements in the chip planner. My question is, how can I get the critical path delay since the logic elements are placed far away?!! I think four logic blocks should be placed close together.

Attachments

• qu.jpg
    qu.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 74

If is a synchronous circuit, then as long as it meets timing between the registers then there is no problem..

But I want to see a report with some values.

Use time quest. If you report the clocks you can view all paths in that clock domain. They can be sorted by slack. It will show the timing per path.

I opened Time Quest and clicked on "Report Path". What should I enter in the window? I searched for some tutorials about that but didn't find a straight forward tutorial for beginners.

Attachments

• tq.jpg
    tq.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 67

The ... to the right of the from text box should open a list of the items you can select (if I recall correctly, it's been nearly a decade since I used Quartus).

You never did say if your design has clocks or not...

If it's all combinational like you implied with your first post then you should just put input pins in the from box and output pins in the to box.

Also if you didn't supply any constraints for the input/output delays (based on the info in the picture) then you shouldn't expect the cells in the design to be placed near each other as you supplied no information on the timing requirements. If you want to have a timing objective then you'll need a virtual clock for the input/output delay constraints and appropriate set_input_delay and set_output_delay constraints to give you the require Tpd of the combinational path.

The circuit is a 32 bit adder which uses 4-bit carry look ahead blocks. So there is no clock there. In that dialog box, I entered "ci" as "From Node" and "co" as "To Node" (carry to carry path).
The output of the report is

Code:
From Node          ci
To Node          co
Delay          30.618

What is the time unit?

I'd say it is in ns, hard to imaging an FPGA that can manage a 30GHz add (30.6 ps).

Remember, that any timing information you get will be using the timing model selected as default, which I think is th 85C model. This means that the timing in the real circuit is likely to be better than reported, and will vary with process (ie from chip to chip), voltage and temperature. You should not rely on any timing information if you're trying to balance the delay between parallel paths.

The only way to guarantee timing (and the way FPGAs are built) is to use a clock for your design.

Hello there,

How can we find the critical path? Like, in the image below, the yellow line shows the critical path. My question is how can we identify that the path of input B is the critical path and not that of A or C or D.

Untitled.png

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Using timequest you can setup a report to cover an entire set of registers on a single clock, or the timing between two nets. Either way, it will always list the results with the slowest (longest) path first.

@TrickyDicky,

In the image I attached last time, the path delay is 5ns (say each gate has a delay of 1 ns and and all inputs are sent at time 0). What I am confused about is that the 5ns delay can very well have a path

C -> AND -> INV -> OR -> AND

Also, the path below gives the same delay of 5 ns
D -> AND -> OR -> AND.

I am confused about what made us choose the path to start at B? Is it max number of gates? If so, why not choose C instead?!

Thanks in advance :)

If each gate had its own delay, then the party with most gates will have the highest latency. But in an FPGA there are no gates, just luts, and registers, and routing. So is this a real life question, or just an academic question (that is a very simplified version of reality).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back