Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An optimal True Random Number Generator for FPGAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumathigokul

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I want to generate a true random number in Actel ProAsic3 FPGA development board which operates at 48 MHz. I tried to implement it using ring oscillators (RO) and used the system clock i.e. 48 MHz as sampling frequency. As the sampling period is around 48 MHz => 21 ns, the RO period should at least be double the sampling frequency, i.e. 42 ns, means that my RO has approximately 41-45 inverter (NOT gates). Hence, the resource utilization of my target design will be increased by 45 additional core cells (approximately for RO + D flipflop), but i may only have hardly 10-15 additional core cells left unused in the device.

I need any suggestion to implement the optimized version of true random number generator as per my system clock frequency i.e. 48 MHz.

Thank you in advance.

Have you considered the scenario of lowering the 48 MHz sampling frequency?
Let the FPGA input be 48MHz but use a PLL inside to obtain a lower freq which you might want to use as sampling frequency.

I think this will not work out. Say, if the sampling frequency is lowered to 20 MHz i.e. 50 ns, then RO period should at least be double the sampling period, i.e. 100 ns. This method will ultimately increases the TRNG size, but not optimize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back