Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromechanical hammerhead c02 inflator

Status
Not open for further replies.

zainka

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

In everything from softguns to inflatable life jackets you have those Co2 cartridges that comes in various size and CO2-weight. I want to use these in a new design but need an actuator that is able to puncture the cartridge using an electrical controlled hammerhead. So far I have only found mechanical actuators for manual use. On ebay I have found some regulators, but I do not want too regulate the gas flow as I need the gas to leave the cartridge instantaneous much like it does in the inflatable life jackets, into a tube leading the gas to its destination.

Problem is that i do not know what to call them in english so I do not know the correct search term, I'm even not sure if "Hammerhead" is the right term or if that is a brand or something. Most search hits is related to CO2 regulators for fish tanks and thats not what i want.

I hope some of you know off any such devices. It would also be a benefit if the actuator has manual release as well, but that may be achieved other ways.

Hi,

This article about emergency bicycle tyre repairs mentions flow control unit and control valve, probably not the term you are looking for. You don't mean a solenoid as the driving device to puncture the cartridge? No doubt whatever is needed for a pneumatic drill/hammer would be too many parts taking up too much space for what you intend.

It could be efficient to have a spring-loaded needle, which is held back by a catch of some kind. Flip the catch away with an electromagnet. It should be possible to do with less force than if you try to drive the needle from a solenoid exclusively.

For the info. The solution i think will be to kinda rapidly drill a (maybe hollow) needle/arrow into the canister using a small electrical motor and a gear. I do not know the correct English term but it will use some type of "thread-screw" that is pushed by the gear in a linear move into the canister.

:thinker:(what is the correct English term for these screws that is used to translate the motors rotation based movement into linear movement)

- - - Updated - - -

Hup.. got it... Worm-gear or worm-drive. (Who the heck came up with that name?)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.